I believe everyday is a new opportunity to make a difference.

When students enter my classroom they are part of a community of learners. I teach with integrity and intention, I give my students a voice and encourage mistakes and questions. I am known for my ability to think on my feet and adjust to best fit the needs of the students in the moment.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Teaching Philosophy

All students can learn but no student learns in the same way.
There is no one sizes fits all approach to teaching.
It is essential to create a safe, secure, caring and stimulating environment so that growth and development can take place.
Classrooms must have mutual respect, curiosity and a teacher who is able to provide a student-centered learning environment.
Classrooms need to foster the students’ natural curiosity for learning and questioning. Teachers need to support the ability to discover in silence or pause.
Students learn by doing and all students can learn.

I have strong beliefs in philosophers and theorists such as: John Dewey, Parker Palmer, Frank Smith, Regie Routman, and Paolo Freire. These theorists know the student as intelligent, eager, and easily influenced. I agree with Frank Smith, teachers have the opportunity to “change the world.” I believe we make small changes each day and we change the world a little bit at a time. Each day is a new opportunity to start fresh and learn. The role of the teacher is to provide a learning environment that is conducive to just that: learning. Teachers need to teach to the students’ particular learning style and consciously incorporate Howard Gardner’s multiple intelligences into our lessons to make them meaningful for individual. The teacher must provide multiple opportunities for authentic learning and discovery. Teachers must assess themselves and their students often and thoroughly to ensure students are continuing to grow.